header.gif (12,818 bytes)

10.07.2009

Recipe:: Fried Pork Chop Vegetable Soup


Hey Bleeps! I thought I'd share a soup recipe I made last night. I'm a big fan of the Neely's, featured on the Food Network. I have a copy of their book, but also find many of their recipes on the Food Network. I've tried many of their recipes and every time I like them, so I like to stick with what works! I know...fried pork and a soup sounds crazy, but late one night as I was watching an episode on Tivo and my stomach growled all night until I fell asleep! I knew I had to make it, so here it is, my version! I added two additional cups of chicken stock to my version, but everything else remained the same (minus the parsley as garnish because I'm too starving and ready to dig in by the time garnishing comes around)!

The Results
It tastes great and is a healthy and quick vegetable soup (even without the fried pork chop). Think of the variation you can add to this recipe, such as beef stew meat or even chicken bites! I personally added a few shakes of hot sauce into my bowl because I like to put a little 'kick' in it! I LOVE spicy foods, so when it's appropriate, I usually turn up the heat! The pork chop was actually tender and easy to bite. Yep, I just picked it up with my spoon and bit a piece! I'm no barbarian, but eating should be comfortable, especially in your own home, right?!

**Sorry about the messy bowl! I thought I cleaned it up, that is until I edited the photo! It just makes it 'real'!**

I'll be back a little later with a card and a great product review by Splitcoaststampers' Product Focus Review Team! See you later because you don't want to miss reviews and samples using this new product!


Ingredients

For vegetable soup:

  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 32 ounces vegetable broth
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 large white potato, cubed
  • 1/2 (10-ounce) box frozen corn
  • 1/2 (10-ounce) box frozen peas
  • 5 ounces fresh green beans, cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves

For the pork chops:

  • Peanut oil, to fry
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 (1-inch thick) bone-in center cut pork chops

Directions

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and saute carrots, celery and onion until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the flour to the vegetables and blend well. Cook the flour until it achieves a slight blonde color. Next, stir in the tomato paste and allow to slightly cook, about 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in vegetable broth while stirring and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and add the can of diced tomatoes and the potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the peanut oil in an electric fryer or large pan fitted with deep-fry thermometer to 325 degrees F. In a large casserole dish, mix together flour, and season with salt and pepper. Dredge chops in flour mixture, patting excess off. Place chops, 2 at time, in fryer and cook until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Cool slightly and remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray.

Add the cooked chops to soup and simmer another 30 minutes, or until the meat falls off the bone. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the corn, peas, and green beans. Ladle soup into individual bowls, top with a pork chop and sprinkle with parsley.

3 comments:

Heather P. said...

Looks fantastic! Glad to hear it's yummy, too! :)

Megan said...

That looks and sounds delicious!

Erica said...

You can't imagine my surprise when I opened my "daily dose of Ashley," and found soup staring me in the face...with a pork chop protruding from the side. Too funny is how I looked. Well,thanks for the recipe. The Neely's are such a fun-cookin' couple.

Blog Design: Girly by Design