header.gif (12,818 bytes)

10.06.2009

Trick or Treat




How's it going Bleeps? I hope your Monday went well. Today, I am sharing a card that is totally outside of my comfort zone. First, I am not a big fan of halloween. Although I love handing out candy to the neighborhood kids and seeing them in their cute costumes, I don't get into all of the entire theme. So, I usually do not make halloween anything, let alone cards because who would I even give one too?! However, I received a new stamp set by Stephanie Barnard's new stamp company called, the {stamps} of life. I thought the pumpkins were nice and I just had to try out her stamps. I also wanted to use my new QuickKutz embossing folder to see how that worked along with some Core'dinations cardstock and this is what transformed.

I used my Cuttlebug to dry emboss the dots and it worked fine using the same sandwich you would use with any other Provo Craft embossing folder. So, for those of you out there who were interested in finding out if it worked for sure...it does! I also used a bit of that raffia ribbon I picked up in the $1.99 bin at Archiver's this weekend! I liked how it looks with the pumpkin. The stamp sets are really versatile and offer faces to interchange on the pumpkin. I kept mine 'nice' and used the sentiment to overlap. Those leaves at the top of the pumpkin are actually leaf trim, which can be ordered at i {heart} papers!

Instructions
  1. Trim spring moss cardstock into an A2 card (trim 8.5" x 11" cardstock vertically).
  2. Dry emboss core'dinations cardstock, then distress/sand and trim/tear bottom.
  3. Mat core'dinations cardstock on rust cardstock, then adhere to card front.
  4. Stitch around edges.
  5. Tie straw ribbon around card into a knot and crinkle.
  6. Trim strips of core'dinations cardstock and adhere to card front bottom, then sand.
  7. Stamp pumpkin on rust cardstock, cut out, then adhere to card front with foam adhesive.
  8. Stamp sentiment on strips and adhere to card front with foam adhesive.
  9. Add leaf trim to pumpkin.

Supplies

  • Stamps :: The Stamps of Life - Thanks2Fall (October)
  • Ink :: Close to My Heart - black
  • Paper :: Stampin' Up! - dusty durango; Papertrey Ink - spring moss; Core'dinations - black magic collection
  • Embellishments :: Paper Reflections - raffia ribbon; Tim Holtz - distresser; QuickKutz - polka dots embossing folder; Provo Craft - cuttlebug; Janome Sew Mini; thread; Creative Impressions - leaf trim

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! The theme of this card: TEXTURE!

Amber Hight said...

Super cute card Ashley! I'm like you, I don't have a whole lot of use for halloween anything but your card is adorable:)

Anonymous said...

Good morning Ashley, I enjoy your cards. I agree with you, I don't do halloween, but I made some cute fall "thinking of you" cards with a pumpkin design. It is similar to what you have done here. I think that may be what grabbed my eye. Keep up the great work.

Wendy

Laurel said...

This is super cute! Like you I am not a Halloween fan either, not into the colors, the dressing up (although I love seeing the kids too), not into the gory stuff - but I even made a couple of cards this year too!

Anonymous said...

This is magazing material girl! For something out of your comfort zone, it rocks!

Rose said...

What a darling Halloween card! I love it! I'm not a typical Halloween girl either, but have made a concerted effort this year to create some Halloween projects. I love the shabby chic-ness of your card. Just FAB!

Heather P. said...

This is super cute! Way to step out of your "comfort" zone! Love the sentiment placement on top of the image. :)

whoistracy said...

Even out of your comfort zone your work is fabulous! Love the way that pumpkin pops.

Lynnette said...

This is adorable. For not being a fan of Halloween, you sure created a fab card!

Unknown said...

wow, its amazing!

Charlene Austin said...

Holy Smokes~~~this is awesome! Seriously....how can this be out of your comfort zone when it's totally the cutest and perfect card!!

Takisha said...

OK, this card need to be submitted somewhere!!!! I totally love everything about it.
Great job Ashley
Kisha :)

Janelle said...

I'm not too into the whole Halloween thing either -- and it sounds like we're not alone. But, I agree with the others -- this is a great card. Also, I'm glad to know about the QuickKutz working well with the Cuttlebug. Just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Winter said...

I don't celebrate Halloween either, but I love this card! It looks so sweet instead of spooky, I like that! Love the dry embossing with the distressing! :)

~Lori Roop said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only crafter out there who doesn't go all out for Halloween! I prefer more autumn related crafts!

This card is very lovely Ashley! I love the pumpkin!

Blog Design: Girly by Design